Bonsai photographic entry form
Entry Form Photographic Competition
SABA Photographic Competition
Entries for both “Indigenous” and “Exotic” trees will open from the 26th of each month and close at midnight on the last day of the month. Photographs of the entries will be placed on the SABA Photographic Competition Polling page where members can vote for their favourite by placing trees in order of preference. SABA will appoint judges who will also rate the trees and a winner will be selected from the judged and the Facebook page.
The Tommy Flaxman Memorial Competition and the SABA Cup Photographic competition winners will be selected from the monthly winners and the prizes will be awarded at the annual SABA Convention.
The rules for the SABA Photographic Competitions:
1. This competition is open to any person who is a club or individual member registered with the South African Bonsai Association (SABA).
2. The winning entry will be based on the quality of the tree and not the photograph.
3. For the TOMMY FLAXMAN MEMORIAL PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPETITION, material used must be an INDIGENOUS SOUTH AFRICAN species
4. For the SABA CUP PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPETITION, material used must be any EXOTIC species.
5. The planting/bonsai can be in any bonsai form, size or style of single tree, groups or saikei.
6. The planting/bonsai must currently be alive and the trees and image must be real, not artificially enhanced or changed in any way. SABA reserves the right to have this verified by a club president or regional representative.
7. Stock can be obtained from any source, ie nurseries, yamadori, etc.
8. The planting/bonsai may be presented on a suitable stand or table.
9. Entry must be in a .jpeg format of no less than 500kb and no more than 5Mb. Entries can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. All entries must be submitted on the correct entry form with complete information on the tree, species, height, years of training, a brief history of the tree and/or owner and/or artist (contact details and possibly a short C.V.) or any information on the tree, ie, origin of pot, original designer, etc, for the write up of the winner on the SABA Blog.
11. No more than two entries per competition per month are permitted from each artist (not photographer) but each entry needs to be submitted on a separate entry form.
12. Previous first place trees are not eligible to enter competitions of the same tree for five (5) years after which time a NEW photo of the same tree may be entered.
13. Entries open on the 26th of the month and the closing date for entries is at 23h59 on the last day of each month. No late entries will be considered nor carried over, but entries may be resubmitted the next month.
14. SABA retains right to publish entries in newsletters, magazines and/or the web and use the best photographs for the annual SABA calendar without compensation. Entries will not be returned or removed when published on any media.
15. Entries will be placed on the SABA Photographic Competition Facebook page where the public may participate in the vote for the best tree. The public vote will constitute one judge’s vote.
16. A panel of SABA judges will be appointed by the SABA executive to judge the trees using the agreed score sheet or ranking method.
17. The public score will be determined by the ranking score by Facebook on the SABA Photographic Competition Facebook page. “Likes” on the SABA Facebook page will not count.
18. The final score will be determined based on the average of the judges’ scores. No correspondence will be entered into.
19. The owner of the planting/bonsai will be awarded the prize, not the photographer. The photographer will however be given credit for their work in the form of their name being associated with the image.
20. If one of the SABA judges wishes to enter the competition, they must recuse themselves from the vote.
21. The total average score may be returned to the entrant, so they can identify elements to learn and improve on (no debate will be entertained on score)
22. A winner in each category will be chosen each month and the final winner will be selected from the finalists in each category and announced at the annual SABA Convention.
23. The competition will run annually.